‘I’m going to die’: ‘Pokemaster’ water pipe dies in blaze
Water pipe belonging to a popular Pokemon Go game developer is ablaze in a blaze that has left at least one person dead.
The fire broke out on a vacant lot at the end of a residential street on the city’s west side, officials said.
There was no immediate word on the cause of the blaze.
PokeMaster, a company that sells water pipes for Pokemon Go, issued a statement saying the blaze was a “totally preventable” incident and “a tragic loss” to the company.
“Our hearts go out to all those affected and their families,” the statement said.
Poke master issued a follow-up statement on Tuesday saying it was “in full compliance” with city codes, and that “all applicable fire safety and building code regulations were followed in making these modifications.”
Firefighters, paramedics and paramedics from the Philadelphia Fire Department, the Philadelphia Division of Fire and Emergency Services, and the Fire Protection District were called to the scene.
They worked to put out the blaze with “all available resources,” according to the statement.
One of the fire departments firefighters, William C. Bales, told ABC News that while the fire started in a vacant space, it spread quickly, quickly enough that it was not possible to put it out quickly.
According to a fire department spokesperson, firefighters were called after a man who was trying to fix a water pipe on the sidewalk got caught in the blaze, causing it to break out.
In the statement, the company said the pipe was installed in 2014 and was designed to be used with Pokemon Go and was intended for players to get to the Pokemon Gyms in the game.